Growing up I never got as excited about hot chocolate as the other kids did, which was weird because I loved all things chocolate and sweet. I still do. But I realize now it was because the powdered mixes and boiled water were pretty lame. Not even the shrunken down marshmallows could thrill this girl.
What I was missing was the richness and creaminess that makes hot chocolate so divine. This recipe totally delivers on divinity. Peppermint makes this cozy drink festive and coconut milk offers its magical ability to make anything taste as creamy as dairy without the dairy.
- ¾ cup water
- ½ cup coconut milk (full fat from the can)
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar
- 2 tbsp raw cacao powder
- 6 drops peppermint extract
- Add water, coconut milk and coconut sugar to a small saucepan on medium-low heat
- Heat until it starts to steam but do not boil and stir until smooth (about 5-10 minutes)
- Whisk in raw cacao powder
- Add peppermint extract
- Get warm and enjoy!